Envy Advertising Policy
Understanding Our Policies
Our Advertising Policies provide guidance on what types of ad content are allowed. When advertisers place an order, each ad is reviewed against these policies. If you think your ad was mistakenly disapproved, please let us know.
THE AD REVIEW PROCESS
Before ads show up on Env, they’re reviewed to make sure they meet our Advertising Policies. Typically most ads are reviewed within 24 hours, although in some cases it may take longer.
What We Consider
During the ad review process, we’ll check your ad’s images, text, targeting, and positioning, in addition to the content on your ad’s landing page. Your ad may not be approved if the landing page content isn’t fully functional, doesn’t match the product/service promoted in your ad or doesn’t fully comply with our Advertising Policies.
What Happens After an Ad is Reviewed?
After your ad is reviewed, you’ll receive a notification letting you know if your ad is approved. If it’s approved, we’ll start running your ad and you can see your results in the Ads Manager.
STEPS TO TAKE IF DISAPPROVED
Edit Your Ad
If your ad isn’t approved for not fully complying with our policies, you can edit it and resubmit for review. To edit your ad:
- Check the email address associated with your advertising account. If your ad doesn’t get approved, we’ll send you an email with details that explain why.
- Using the information in your disapproval email, you can edit your ad and create a compliant one. Check this page forediting steps.
- Save your edited changes. Once you save your changes, your ad will be resubmitted for review.
Appeal the Decision
If you can’t edit your ad or feel it was a mistake that it wasn’t approved, you can appeal the decision using this form.
- Community Standards
Ads must not violate our Community Standards.
- Illegal Products or Services
Ads must not constitute, facilitate, or promote illegal products, services or activities. Ads targeted to minors must not promote products, services, or content that are inappropriate, illegal, or unsafe, or that exploit, mislead, or exert undue pressure on the age groups targeted.
- Discriminatory Practices
Ads must not discriminate or encourage discrimination against people based on personal attributes such as race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, disability, medical or genetic condition.
- Tobacco Products
Ads must not promote the sale or use of tobacco products and related paraphernalia.
- Drugs & Drug-Related Products
Ads must not promote the sale or use of illegal, prescription, or recreational drugs.
- Unsafe Supplements
Ads must not promote the sale or use of unsafe supplements, as determined by Envy in its sole discretion.
- Weapons, Ammunition, or Explosives
Ads must not promote the sale or use of weapons, ammunition, or explosives.
- Adult Products or Services
Ads must not promote the sale or use of adult products or services, except for ads for family planning and contraception. Ads for contraceptives must focus on the contraceptive features of the product, and not on sexual pleasure or sexual enhancement, and must be targeted to people 18 years or older.
- Adult Content
Ads must not contain adult content. This includes nudity, depictions of people in explicit or suggestive positions, or activities that are overly suggestive or sexually provocative.
- Third-Party Infringement
Ads must not contain content that infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights. To report content that you feel may infringe upon or violate your rights, please check these details.
- Sensational Content
Ads must not contain shocking, sensational, disrespectful or excessively violent content.
- Personal Attributes
Ads must not contain content that asserts or implies personal attributes. This includes direct or indirect assertions or implications about a person’s race, ethnic origin, religion, beliefs, age, sexual orientation or practices, gender identity, disability, medical condition (including physical or mental health), financial status, membership in a trade union, criminal record, or name.
- Misleading or False Content
Ads must not contain deceptive, false, or misleading content, including deceptive claims, offers, or business practices.
- Controversial Content
Ads must not contain content that exploits controversial political or social issues for commercial purposes.
- Non-Functional Landing Page
Ads must not direct people to non-functional landing pages. This includes landing page content that interferes with a person’s ability to navigate away from the page.
- Surveillance Equipment
Ads may not promote the sale of spy cams, mobile phone trackers or other hidden surveillance equipment.
- Grammar & Profanity
Ads must not contain profanity or bad grammar and punctuation. Symbols, numbers, and letters must be used properly.
- Nonexistent Functionality
Ads must not contain images that portray nonexistent functionality.
- Personal Health
Ads must not contain “before-and-after” images or images that contain unexpected or unlikely results. Ad content must not imply or attempt to generate negative self-perception in order to promote diet, weight loss, or other health related products. Ads for health, fitness or weight loss products must be targeted to people 18 years or older.
- Payday or Cash Advance Loans
Ads must not promote payday loans, paycheck advances or any other short-term loan intended to cover someone’s expenses until their next payday.
- Multilevel Marketing
Ads promoting income opportunities must fully describe the associated product or business model, and must not promote business models offering quick compensation for little investment, including multilevel marketing opportunities.
- Penny Auctions
Ads may not promote penny auctions, bidding fee auctions or other similar business models.
- Counterfeit Documents
Ads may not promote fake documents, such as counterfeit degrees, passports or immigration papers.
- Low Quality or Disruptive Content
Ads must not contain content leading to external landing pages that provide an unexpected or disruptive experience. This includes misleading ad positioning, such as overly sensationalized headlines, and leading people to landing pages that contain minimal original content and a majority of unrelated or low quality ad content.
- Spyware or Malware
Ads must not contain spyware, malware, or any software that results in an unexpected or deceptive experience. This includes links to sites containing these products.
- Automatic Animation
Ads must not contain audio or flash animation that plays automatically without a person’s interaction or expands within Envy after someone clicks on the ad.
Ads that promote or reference alcohol must comply with all applicable local laws, required or established industry codes, guidelines, licenses and approvals, and include age and country targeting criteria consistent with Envy’s targeting guidelines and applicable local laws. Note that ads promoting or referencing alcohol are prohibited in some countries, including but not limited to: Afghanistan, Brunei, Bangladesh, Egypt, Gambia, Kuwait, Libya, Norway, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
Ads for online dating services are only allowed with prior written permission. These must adhere to the dating targeting requirements and our dating quality guidelines found here. In order to be a registered dating partner, please fill out this form to begin your application process.
- Real Money Gambling
Ads that promote or facilitate online real money gambling, real money games of skill or real money lotteries, including online real money casino, sports books, bingo, or poker, are only allowed with prior written permission. Authorized gambling, games of skill or lottery ads must target people 18 years or older who are in jurisdictions for which permission has been granted.
- State Lotteries
Lotteries run by government entities may advertise on Envy, provided the ads are targeted in accordance with applicable law in the jurisdiction in which the ads will be served and only target people in the jurisdiction in which the lottery is available.
- Online Pharmacies
Ads must not promote the sale of prescription pharmaceuticals. Ads for online and offline pharmacies are only permitted with prior written permission.
Ads that promote acceptable dietary and herbal supplements may only target people who are at least 18 years of age.
- Subscription Services
Ads for subscription services, or that promote products or services that include negative options, automatic renewal, free-to-pay conversion billing products, or mobile marketing are subject to our subscription services requirements.
- Financial Services
Ads promoting credit card applications or financial services with accredited institutions must clearly provide sufficient disclosure regarding associated fees, including APR percentages transaction fees, within the ad’s landing page. Ads promoting loans or insurance services must not directly request the input of a person’s financial information, including credit card information.
- Branded Content
Ads from Verified Pages (with the blue badge) promoting branded content must tag the featured third party product, brand, or sponsor using the branded content tool. Branded content within ads is defined as content where the content’s editorial voice has been influenced by and features a third party product, brand, or sponsor (e.g. product placement, sponsorship’s, sponsor logos, etc.). When promoting branded content integrations, advertisers must use the Branded Content tool (please learn more here on how to tag the featured third party product, brand, or sponsor).
- Student Loan Services
Ads promoting student loan services must be targeted to people 18 years or older. Ads must not promote misleading or deceptive services related to student loan consolidation, forgiveness, or refinancing.
Video ads and other dynamic ad types must comply the all of the rules listed in these Advertising Policies, including the Community Standards, as well as the policies below:
- Disruptive Content
Videos and other similar ad types must not use overly disruptive tactics, such as flashing screens.
- Entertainment Related Restrictions
Ads for movie trailers, TV shows, video game trailers, and other similar content intended for mature audiences are only allowed with prior written permission from Envy and must target people who are 18 years or older. Excessive depictions of the following content within these ads are not allowed:
- Drugs and alcohol use
- Adult content
- Violence and gore
- You must not use targeting options to discriminate against, harass, provoke, or disparage users or to engage in predatory advertising practices.
- If you target your ads to custom audiences, you must comply with theapplicable termswhen creating an audience.
All ad components, including any text, images or other media, must be relevant and appropriate to the product or service being offered and the audience viewing the ad.
Ads must clearly represent the company, product, service, or brand that is being advertised.
- Related Landing Pages
The products and services promoted in an ad’s text must match those promoted on the landing page, and the destination site must not offer or link to any prohibited product or service.
TEXT IN IMAGES
Our policies previously prohibited ads with text that covered more than 20% of an ad’s image. We’ve recently implemented a new solution that allows ads with greater than 20% text to run, but with less or no delivery. To find out more about this change and how it impacts your ads, visit the Advertiser Help Center.
Advertisers must not create Lead Ads questions to request the following types of information without our prior written permission.
- Account Numbers
Ads must not request account numbers, including frequent flyer numbers, loyalty card numbers, or cable or telephone account numbers without our prior permission.
- Criminal History
Ads must not request information regarding criminal or arrest history without our prior permission.
- Financial Information
Ads must not request financial information, including bank account numbers, bank routing numbers, credit or debit card numbers, credit scores, income, net worth or how much debt someone has without our prior permission.
- Government Issued Identifiers
Ads must not request government-issued identifiers, including Social Security numbers, passport numbers or driver’s license numbers without our prior permission.
- Health Information
Ads must not request health information, including physical health, mental health, medical treatments, medical conditions or disabilities without our prior permission.
- Insurance Information
Ads must not request insurance information, including current insurance policy numbers, without our prior permission.
- Political Affiliation
Ads must not request information regarding political affiliation without our prior permission.
- Race or Ethnicity
Ads must not request information regarding race or ethnicity without our prior permission.
Ads must not request information regarding religion or philosophical beliefs without our prior permission.
- Sexual Orientation
Ads must not request information regarding sexual orientation or information about the sexual life of the individual, including what gender(s) the person prefers to date, without our prior permission.
- Template Questions
Ads must not request the same or substantially similar information that you could use a Template Question to request.
- Trade Union Membership
Ads must not request information regarding trade Union membership status without our prior permission.
- Usernames or Passwords
Ads must not request usernames or passwords, including usernames and passwords for existing and new accounts, without our prior permission. If you want to direct people to sign up for an account with your site or service, you should use the Clicks to Website or Website Conversions objective when you run your ads.
— USE OF OUR BRANDED ASSETS
- Brand Endorsement
Ads must not imply an Envy endorsement or partnership of any kind, or an endorsement by any other Envy Company.
- Envy’s Brands
Ads linking to Envy branded content (including Pages, groups, events, or sites that use Envy Login) may make limited reference to “Envy” in ad text for the purpose of clarifying the destination of the ad.
- Copyrights & Trademarks
All other ads and landing pages must not use our copyrights, Trademarks, or any confusingly similar marks, except as expressly permitted by our Brand Usage Guidelines or with our prior written permission.
DATA — USE RESTRICTIONS
- Ensure any ad data collected, received or derived from your Envy (“Envy advertising data”) is only shared with someone acting on your behalf, such as your service provider. You are responsible for ensuring your service providers protect any Envy advertising data or any other information obtained from us, limit their use of all of that information, and keep it confidential and secure.
- Don’t use Envy advertising data for any purpose (including retargeting, commingling data across multiple advertisers’ campaigns, or allowing piggybacking or redirecting with tags), except on an aggregate and anonymous basis (unless authorized by Envy) and only to assess the performance and effectiveness of your Envy advertising campaigns.
- Don’t use Envy advertising data, including the targeting criteria for your ad, to build, append to, edit, influence, or augment user profiles, including profiles associated with any mobile device identifier or other unique identifier that identifies any particular user, browser, computer or device.
- Don’t transfer any Envy advertising data (including anonymous, aggregate, or derived data) to any ad network, ad exchange, data broker or other advertising or monetization related service.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Advertising Policies apply to (1) ads and commercial content served by or purchased through Envy, on or off the Envy services, including ads purchased under AAAA/IAB Standard Terms and Conditions and (2) ads appearing within apps on Envy. Your use of Envy’s advertising products and services is part of “Envy” under Envy’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and is subject to the SRR. You may be subject to additional terms or guidelines if you use certain Envy advertising-related products or services.
- Advertisers are responsible for understanding and complying with all applicable laws and regulations. Failure to comply may result in a variety of consequences, including the cancellation of ads you have placed and termination of your account.
- We do not use sensitive personal data for ad targeting. Topics you choose for targeting your ad don’t reflect the personal beliefs, characteristics or values of the people who use Envy.
- If you are managing ads on behalf of other advertisers, each advertiser or client must be managed through separate ad accounts. You must not change the advertiser or client associated with an established ad account; set up a new account. You are responsible for ensuring that each advertiser complies with these Advertising Policies.
- We reserve the right to reject, approve or remove any ad for any reason, in our sole discretion, including ads that negatively affect our relationship with our users or that promote content, services, or activities, contrary to our competitive position, interests, or advertising philosophy.
- For policies that require prior written permission, Envy or aEnvy Companymay grant these permissions.
- These policies are subject to change at any time without notice.